Monday, December 14, 2015

Cursbstoning

It was in the 1960s when I was first exposed to the state inspector for car dealerships.
My dad had a salvage yard and he would often repair automobiles
then place them outside in our front yard. One day a man stop by to look at a vehicle
 my dad had placed in our front yard. Of course they struck up a conversation about the vehicle
and then my dad opened up like a book. The man said yes he had seen several vehicles
in our front yard and was curious if we had a dealer's license. Of course my dad responded no.
He then told my dad as he gave him his card he was the state inspector for Tennessee.
He then informed them he would be paying a fine.  He also needed the records of the
previous vehicles he had seen in the front yard. The man had taken the vehicle identification numbers
from each car and knew my dad had sold the vehicles. This is what we call today
(curbstoning).

  My dad came into the house furious as he had just been fined and now was under investigation
for back taxes due from the previous sales. Now in haste he began to search for a location
and the process of acquiring a used car dealer's license. Now keep in mind my dad
had no intention of leaving his very successful salvage yard business and working in a car dealership.
My dad had decided his son who had never sold a car in his life would be running
the day-to-day activities of this used-car lot. Thus began my sink or swim career
in this business. We opened up that little car lot and due to different Philosophies
and the fact I had no experience this venture was very short-lived.
Moving forward about two years and thanks to synchronicity came in contact with a fascinating
intelligent man. I had never met anybody like this man. Quiet and distinguished with a
unmatched pair of confidence. It was a sales manager at a local Volkswagen dealer.
Although he was new car manager  his used car manager's fascination with used cars far exceeded
his love for the new car business. Bill took pride with every used car we place on our lot.

Our dealership was known for some of the nicest used cars anywhere in town. Our wholesalers
new never to bring us a car to buy unless it was front line ready. Bill always said
that a nice car could never be overpriced! Our sales often proved he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment